I decided to steal some of HY's alphabets (for alphabet soup) to try out something for Sunday dinner. This experimental dish tasted like fried olive rice except that alphabets was used instead.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
1 onion, chopped
1 chilli with seeds removed, chopped
2 stalk of celery, chopped
6 strips of back bacon cut into bits
1 cup of alphabet pasta
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 sprig of thyme finely chopped
1 sprig of parsley finely chopped
1) Add thyme and parsley to olive oil. Whisk them in a bowl and leave aside to let herbs infused into olive oil.
2) With a spoonful of olive oil stir fry the onion, celery until they are soft, add in the chilli and stir fry for a while then scoop them up to set aside.
3) Stir fry the bacon until the edge is slight brown. Add the onion, celery and chilli and mix them in low heat. Then set aside.
4) Boil 1 litre of water and then add the alphabets pasta. When the alphabets are soften (do not over soften or they'll turn marshy), strain them with a strainer. Wash under tap for a while. Try to drain as much water from the alphabets by tossing them gently in the strainer.
5) Once the alphabets are cool from the tossing, release them into the bowl of olive oil and herbs. Mix them up gently till herbs and oil cover the alphabets uniformly.
6) Turn the heat to medium heat. Fry the alphabets for about one minute. Add the bacon, onion, celery and chilli into the aphabets and stir fry for about another minute.
Ready to serve, by SLURP