Monday, June 1, 2009

Pork Loin with Aracena Whiskey Sauce



My wife bought the "Appetite" magazine that featured Peter Kaminsky's "Perfect Pig" among other meat related food books. I purchased the book following my personal inclination to pork dishes. Pork Tenderloin with Aracena Whiskey Sauce was chosen as part of the birthday present for my wife and I am glad that she enjoyed it. Thanks to Peter Kaminsky and Susi Delgado. Happy Birthday Darling!

Hopefully, this dinner helped erased her bad memories from my experimental "purple" pork chops with an overdose of balsamic vinegar.

Here's my presentation of Pork Tenderloin with Arcena Whiskey Sauce with the recipe adapted from Peter Kaminsky's "Perfect Pig", inspired by Susi Delgado Gonzalez at Bar Manzano.

Ingredients :

For Whiskey sauce -
6 cloves of garlic, skin on
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons beef stock ( I substituted this with 1/4 cube of Knoss chicken stock)
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons bourbon (Got the Jim Bean bourbon whiskey)

Preparing Pork -
2 pounds boneless pork roast or tenderloin (I've used pork loin instead). Cut the boneless pork loin into strips 1 inch by 1 inch by 4 inches.

Method :
1. In a saucepan, dry roast the garlic over medium-high heat until the skin chars.
2. Add olive oil, butter, beef stock, lemon juice, and bourbon (any brown whiskey can be used. Bourbon is prefered for its smooth smokiness)
3. Reduce over medium flame approximately 10 minutes and then set aside.
4. Cook pork loin in a cast-iron or heavy All-Clad-type pan about 7~10 minutes, turning frequently.

Plating -
Slice the pork parallel to the long side of each piece. Fan out 3 or 4 slices for each serving. Spoon the whiskey sauce with whole garic cloves over the pork.

No comments: